HOW LONG WILL YOU BELIEVE FOR A MIRACLE?

Editors note: This is a guest post from Ryan Atkins, an author and speaker who shares about overcoming adversity, living intentionally, and the power of embracing an eternal perspective. 

 

How long are you willing to hold on believing for miracles in your life?

You pray. You believe. You wait. You hope.

Many that believed for the same miracle with you in the beginning are now encouraging you to move on. To be realistic.

This has been my experience since sustaining a spinal cord injury when my SUV flipped over, paralyzing me below the shoulders in 2009.

Many friends, family members, and acquaintances that used to adamantly pray for healing or talk about future interactions with the hope of my physical abilities returning to me have transitioned to making it clear they believe being reliant on a wheelchair is a permanent fixture for my future.

One friend recently danced around the subject. With a voice full of skepticism, he finally mustered up, “You know how you used to say you believed you would walk again? Do you still believe that?”

You could hear the pity in his voice.

No, time passing does not mean I’ve given up hope. In fact, the more time that passes, the more I realize how little depends on my doing, but rather physical healing depends completely on God’s power to be possible.

I’ve started to sense a stigma around seeking physical healing, as if it isn’t a godly desire. I should be content with the fact that a perfect healing is coming one day in heaven, right?

I’m curious where this came from.

Jesus healed many. He even asked the blind man, What do you want me to do for you?” When the blind man said, “I want to see,” Jesus didn’t scold him and lecture him on not being spiritual enough or tell him to just wait for heaven. He healed him.

I’m not saying everyone gets healed on this side of heaven and by no means do I understand how it all works. But in Luke 18, Jesus teaches his disciples to pray and never give up.

Does that mean I’m shaking my fist at God until he does something? Not at all. Rather, I want to follow the words of 1 Peter 4:19: “Those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.”

When days get tough, I want to remain focused on a verse like this, because trusting God means recognizing that the fatigue, frustration, and pain I experience is ultimately for my good. I can still use my gifts and talents regardless of what my physical limitations are. Some days it’s easier than others but being intentional about doing what I can with what I have helps keep me grounded, focused, and hopeful.

For example, I am still moving forward with publishing my memoir. I still want to prioritize building into the young men I have mentored over the years. I’m finally getting a chance to dive into some work in the field of real estate and finance. I’m not simply sitting around waiting for physical healing

I will continue to prepare my fields for physical breakthrough, and trust God with the rest.

Join me, feel bad for me, whatever you want to do. While I’m not going to put my life on hold, you can bet I’m not giving up on the belief that Jesus will allow me to walk again. If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results, I’m insane and I’m not afraid to admit it.

I want to continue to live in the tension of trusting God and pushing forward in the midst of trial instead of just sitting around waiting for breakthrough, but at the same time doing what Jesus taught: Pray and not give up.

 

What about you? When was there a time others thought you were crazy for what you believe?

 

Editors note: Read more about Ryan Atkins journey and the unexpected lessons you can learn from it in his new book, One Step Closer: How A Life-Altering Accident Led Me To Everything I Almost Missed. To learn more, as well as access the free sample chapter and other book bonuses, click here: http://www.ryansatkins.com/book/.

Ryan and his wife Stephanie

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Steadfast love in believing The One that redeemed us. Nothing is impossible to those who believe through faith in Yeshua/Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Encouraging to know that nothing is impossible with our God

      Delete